It is the responsibility and honor of the City Secretary's Office to conduct and oversee the City Council election process for the City of Breckenridge. Elections are conducted annually on the Uniform Election Day in May (the first Saturday in May.)
However, Texas Election laws regarding campaign finances and legal matters limit the role of the City Secretary’s Office to accepting and filing the various candidate applications, affidavits and statements and noting the date of filing.
The required election forms and instruction guides are provided on this site for your convenience. Please note that all election records and campaign reports are considered Open Records and will be viewed as such by newspaper/media reporters and opponents.
Please, do not hesitate to call or visit the City Secretary's Office if you are in need of assistance. After-hour appointments are available if necessary.
Reporting, Contributions & Expenditures
Questions regarding reporting procedures, contributions and expenditures are to be directed to the Texas Ethics Commission at (512) 463-5800 or (800) 325-8506
Questions regarding election law are to be directed to the Secretary of State at (512) 463-5650 or (800) 252-8683
Mayor and Council Qualifications (as specified in the City Charter)
- Be a United States Citizen.
- Be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable;
- Have not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be: totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.
- Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities;
- Have resided continuously in the State for 12 months and in the territory from which the office is elected for 6 months immediately preceding the date of the filing deadline; mayor candidates must have 1 year residence.
- Be a registered voter in the territory from which the office is elected as of the date of the filing deadline for a candidate’s place on the ballot.
Current Office Holders
Register to Vote