Water/Wastewater Collections & Distribution

For more information please contact:

Billy Smith
Water/Wastewater Collections Foreman

Water/Wastewater Collections & Distribution

An extensive system of water mains delivers potable water to customers within the city, outside users and wholesale contract companies (distribution).

Additionally, an extensive system of wastewater mains collect wastewater (collections), sending it to be treated at our Wastewater Treatment Plant.

If you experience:
  • Water service interruptions
  • An issue with your water quality
  • A water leak
  • Or if you need to request water line locates
During Business Hours, call 254-559-7249
After Business Hours, call 254-559-2211

Water Main Breaks
Water main breaks are unpredictable and happen for various reasons as a normal part of operating a water utility.

  • Overly dry or wet weather causes the ground to shift
  • Sudden pressure fluctuations
  • Normal aging
  • Accidents from digging in the right-of-way
The Public Works Department strives to make necessary repairs as quickly and safely as possible. Our Ordinance requires anyone digging in our right-of-way to obtain a permit, including line locate information. Once a permit is submitted with appropriate information, our crews will perform the line locates for our facilities (water/wastewater lines).


  • Line locates are called in to mark underground utilities such as gas, cable, electric and phone.
    • Excavation may not begin until lines are marked or no response within two (2) hours.
  • Street closures and safety signage may be necessary to control traffic and keep workers and citizens safe.
  • Excavation of the main line may expose a minor leak which sometimes can be repaired without shutting water off.
  • Major leaks require the crews to isolate the pipe by shutting off valves and temporarily placing the water supply of-of-service for the time necessary to make the repairs.
  • After repair or replacement of the broken pipe, it is thoroughly cleaned, disinfected, and flushed prior to being reconnected to the system.
  • A Boil Water Notice may be issued if conditions meet TCEQ requirements for issuing a BWN.
Breckenridge personnel respond to water leaks at any time of the day or night, and we genuinely appreciate when a report is made to us. To report a water leak during normal business hours, make note of the address or approximate location of the leak and call 254-559-7249. If you are calling after hours or on a holiday, please call 254-559-2211.

Since water is such a valued resource and because any leak can become much worse in a short amount of time, it is requested that all leaks be reported timely by telephone instead of via email. 

styling border